WORLD WAR II – THE USS NORTH CAROLINA (BB-55)
The USS North Carolina was commissioned in New York City on 9 April 1941. She was the first of the US Navy’s fast, heavily armed battleships to be commissioned.
She took part in every major naval offensive in the Pacific Theater of Operations to become the most highly decorated American battleship of World War II, accumulating 15 battle stars. The USS North Carolina is now a museum ship and memorial kept at the seaport of Wilmington, N.C. She was decommissioned on 27 June 1947 and later stricken from the U.S. Naval Vessel Registry on June 1st 1960. On September 6th, 1961, the ship was purchased by the state of North Carolina to be used as a museum and the North Carolina was later dedicated as a memorial to all North Carolina residents killed during World War 2 and in 1986, the North Carolina was officially declared a National Historic Landmark.
The teak decking used for our pens was purchased from the USS North Carolina gift shop (see photo below) and carefully hand-cut into pen blanks. A photocopy of the brass plaque that accompanied the decking is included with each pen (see photo below).
Why use teak (wood) decking on a modern battleship? The wood deck served several useful purposes:
1. Temperature and sound insulation - Steel decks quickly transferred either South Pacific heat or North Atlantic cold. The wood helped to modify the effects of the weather. The wood also deadened the sound of hundreds of sailors running and working on the deck.
2. Easier on the feet - In comparison to steel, wood "gives underfoot," causing less stress to legs and feet.
3. Protected the steel deck and personnel - Wood and its bedding compounds protected the steel from the corrosive effects of sun, salt, and water as well as protecting both the steel deck and Navy personnel from shrapnel (ammunition fragments) damage during combat.
For more information on the USS North Carolina please visit the following link: http://www.battleshipnc.com
The pens are available in either the bolt-action pen (see description here) or in a twist or two-piece style. Please contact us for more information
On that memorable day in November 1863 when President Abraham Lincoln, our nation's 16th president, delivered his historic Gettysburg Address at the dedication of the Soldiers National Cemetary - now known as Gettysburg National Cemetary - a honey locust tree stood as a "silent witness" near the speakers platform. That tree was also witness to the Battle of Gettysburg that had taken place during those three momentus days in July.
The "Witness Trees" are an important part of history. They are the silent sentinels of events that have changed the course of history. They have witnessed events both joyus and terrible. They are part of our country's history. Historians, Civil War buffs, tourists seek out these trees to both photograph them and touch a living piece of history.
Our Civil War pens are created with pieces from this tree and include a certificate of authenticity from Gettysburg. Own a piece of American history.
CIVIL WAR – THE BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG
Throughout the ages, trees have been sentinels and witnesses to events across the woodlands and streams. In the case of the Civil War, for over 140 years these trees are the last silent witnesses to the battles that raged across our nation. We are pleased to offer our Civil War Gettysburg 150TH Anniversary Commemorative pens. These are crafted with Witness Tree wood from the Gettysburg Address Honey Locust Tree and commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg.
The Gettysburg Address Honey Locust Tree 150th Anniversary Commemorative pen is inspired by the era when correspondence was an art form and craftsmanship was honored. The pen is finished in gun-metal gray and features a full sized replica of a 58 caliber Minie’ Ball on the pen cap, a 44 Colt Army Bullet on the end and the pen clip is a detailed Model 1861 Springfield Rifle Musket. A brief bit of history:
58 Caliber Minie’ Ball replica cap (actual size - used on pen cap):
This was the most widely used bullet in the Civil War. Originally a French army bullet, it was officially adopted by the Americans in 1855. Rings were added to the original design to hold grease to help ease thebullet down the barrel as well as to collect powder residue when fired. Used in the Model 1861 Springfield Rifle Musket.
Model 1861 Springfield Rifle Musket replica clip (pen clip):
The Model 1861, commonly referred to as the “Springfield”, was a single-shot, muzzle-loading gun favored for its range, accuracy and reliability. It fired the 58-caliber Minie’ Ball and had a maximum effective range of 500 yards. It was the most common firearm in use by both Union and Confederate forces.
44 Caliber 1860 Colt Army Revolver Bullet replica end (actual size - pen tip:)
The 1860 Colt Army Revolver was the favorite side arm for cavalry, infantry, and artillery troops and was the most widely used handgun of the Civil War. This revolver was a six shot model allowing the user to fire six times before needing to stop and reload the weapon. The bullets were designed for the round rifle barrel, and the cartridge was paper and glued to the ball.
For more information on the battles at Seminary Ridge, please visit the following link: http://www.seminaryridge.org/legacy.htm or a reenactment at the youtube link below.
All Gettysburg Address Honey Locust Tree 150th Anniversary Commemorative pens come with a certificate of authenticity.
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation, we are pleased to offer the 150th Anniversary Gettysburg Honey Locust Tree Commemorative Pen set.
Included in the set is the Civil War Pen described above plus a framed Emancipation Proclamation Commemorative stamp from the USPS and a deluxe pen gift box that lifts the pen up when you open the box.
All Civil War commemorative pens come with a certificate of authenticity.
In addition to the Lincoln Gettysburg Address Witness Tree wood, we have been fortuate to get wood from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree and Ironsides Ship wood. We are proud to offer these individually or as a collection. As with all of our historic wood pens, these pens come with a Certificate of Authenticity and our lifetime warranty.
According to local lore, Confederate General Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson used to pray under the tree during his spring 1862 encampment near Middle River in June 1862, after the Shenandoah Valley campaign His army of 15,000 men rested after nearly six weeks of hard marching and fighting that resulted in Confederate military victories at McDowell, Front Royal, Winchester, Cross Keys and Port Republic. Hence the name of “Jackson’s Prayer Tree.”
In 2010, excavation in the historic Charlestown Naval Shipyard unearthed a large quantity of curved, live oak timbers, as well as an old Navy canon from the 1800’s. This wood had been designated to be used to build and repair US ships, including the USS Constitution – Old Ironsides -and the last surviving whaling ship, the Charles W. Morgan that was built in 1841. Here is a link to a video about this wood:
You are purchasing a piece of American History! These bobbin spindles come from the Faith Mills in Averill Park, NY and are circa mid to late1910’s. The Faith Knitting Company was founded by William Mahony and Peter McCarthy in 1897 in Averill Park, NY.
How were the bobbins used? Here’s a quick description:
“The cardroom was is the back room of the ground floor. The machine operator would then take arms full of the cotton and fill hoppers connected to the card machine. The material would go through the machines on large belts and come out the other end as yarn approximately 30 ends that would go onto a roller about 5 feet long.
The rolls would then be put in carts and go from the first floor to the spinning room or winding room. The rolls would be put on the back of the machine called jacks or sometimes called mule spinners. The approximately 30 ends would be put into the jacks and each end would go through wax rings that would hold the yarn together. The operator would be on the other side and the yarn would be attached to a part of the machine and the machine would stretch it out and as the machine moved back in the 30 lines of yarn would wrap around bobbins, eventually filling the bobbins, and the operator would have to break the yarn, throw the full bobbins into carts and begin another 30 lines changing the big rolls in the back when needed. The carts of bobbins would then go to the front part of the second floor to the knitting machines. The knitting machines would knit in a circle and would come out the bottom of the knitting machine.”
SOLD OUT! They all show the hard use they went through at the mills over a hundred years ago. They have been glued and patched, but all show the beauty of these spindles and are useable desk pens. Some have the original copper tips on them and some don’t. They are approximately 8 ½” tall and take a bit of getting used to, but they write well. These also make great conversation pieces.
JACK DANIELS OAK BOURBON BARREL PENS
We have purchased some oak barrel staves from the Jack Daniels distillery. These barrels were used to age the whiskey to perfection over the course of 7 years. The barrels were only used once before they were made available for sale. To see how the Jack Daniel barrels are made and charred, please visit the following link below.
The pens are available in either the bolt-action pen (see description here) or as a two piece or twist pen.
JIM BEAM OAK BOURBON BARREL PENS
We have purchased some oak barrel staves from the Jim Beam distillery. These barrels were used to age the whiskey to perfection over the course of years. The barrels were only used once before they were made available for sale. These barrel staves were made from Jim Beam's Devil's Cut. To see more about the Jim Beam barrels please visit the following link:
The pens are available in either the bolt-action pen (see description here) or in twist or two-piece style. Please email for a quotation in a different style.
Own a piece of history! This Limited Collector Edition Napoli twist pen is made with a special, crystal-clear resin that contains a piece of coal from the R.M.S. Titanic (shown in the closeup in the second photo), which sank on April 15, 1912 in the North Atlantic. The piece of coal (the black dot in the white oval), which is a limited piece of history, was salvaged from the wreck of the R.M.S. Titanic during a search and recovery expedition in the year 2000. The pen comes with a laminated Certificate of Authenticity.
The other two photos show the R.M.S. Titanic at sea and a look at the engine room where the coal was shoveled into the furnaces.
The pen uses a standard Parker style refill and has been upgraded to a Schmidt Parker Style refill. It has undergone our proprietary 19 step hand sanding and polishing process.
The pen comes with our standard Lifetime Warranty ((NOTE: WARRANTY DOES NOT APPLY TO INK OR REFILLS).